Monday, March 19, 2007

RCMP always get their man: the wrong one this time.

Maybe they should restrict the RCMP to handling traffic violations and ceremonial rides! No doubt these officers will be promoted to the intelligence division.


RCMP take down wrong man in training exercise
Last Updated: Friday, March 16, 2007 | 8:40 AM PT
CBC News
A North Vancouver man is considering his legal options after being grabbed, thrown to the ground and handcuffed by RCMP officers involved in a training exercise early Thursday morning, in a case of apparent mistaken identity.

Luther Jurik said he was walking to the bus stop, on his way home from work from a late shift, when he was confronted by two uniformed officers who told him he was being arrested for second-degree murder.

Luther Jurik was arrested and handcuffed by two RCMP officers taking part in a training exercise in North Vancouver Thursday night.
(CBC) The Mounties thought Jurik was an actor, hired as part of a take-down scenario.

"They told me to get down on my knees [and] put my hands behind my back. I did that. And they kept yelling, 'Get your hands behind your back, get your hands behind your back.'

"And I had my hands behind my back. I said, 'I don't understand what more you need me to do.' And they proceeded to handcuff me."

Jurik told Deborah Goble of CBC Television he was terrified that he might be shot with a gun or a Taser.



Jurik matched description: RCMP
RCMP Supt. Gord Tomlinson said Jurik matched the description of the actor they were using as a suspect in this scenario — who had already been arrested by other officers.

"And as soon as they radioed and notified the supervisor that they had one in custody, our supervisor knew exactly they had the wrong person and told them to release him immediately."

Jurik claimed the two Mounties did not seem very upset when they learned they had made a mistake.

"It was kind of like chuckles, like 'Sorry about that buddy.' What do you say to that?"

Tomlinson admits Jurik may have suffered some emotional trauma in the incident, which is now under investigation.

Jurik said he feared for his life and has now consulted a lawyer.

"Just the humiliation of being on the floor, pleading, pleading for your innocence. I never had that happen to me."

No comments: